Today we do things a little different. On the hotseat we do not have just another traveler, but a couple. Many couples only do traveling during their holidays, but we have those that are on the road frequent simply because of their love for travel. Liz and Brian are one of those. We allowed them to say something about themselves before the interview.
“We are Brian and Liz, a couple, madly in love. Brian is in the IT profession while Liz has a passion for crocheting and is an Auditor. We are also upcoming travel bloggers and vloggers too from Kenya. Traipsing around our beautiful country (and the globe soon) inspiring as many people as possible to explore the corners of this rich country. Our aim is to help you travel more and better, with all the information on your fingertips.”
1. Your love for traveling is it inborn or it came about due to your work-related activities?
What do you call a dire need to be on the move like all the time? Our love for travelling is inborn. We have a deep curiosity of seeing the beauty that is Kenya.
2. How did ‘Love and Road Diaries’ blog come about, how long have you been blogging & how is the going so far?
Love and Road Diaries was an idea that we have had for such a long time, our friends have been begging us to document our travels mostly for the pictures and not the writing. We kept procrastinating it but earlier this year in March to be precise we started the blog. It has been a fantastic 6 months, we have met cool people through our social platforms and we can’t wait to see what blogging has in store for us.
3. How often do you travel? And in that context, what has been your favorite destination thus far?
We both have busy schedules but we make it a point to travel at least twice a month. Our favorite destinations were work related and we took them separately.
Brian: South Africa-Cape Town
Liz: Ethiopia-Addis Ababa
4. Take us through your travel bucket list.
Brian: Gan Islands in Maldives
Bloukrans bridge bungee jumping
Nosy Be Island in Madagascar
Liz: View Venice on foot
Santorini in Greece
Swim with the dolphins in the Bahamas
5. What are the 3 most important lessons you have learnt from your previous trips?
First you need to plan for where you are going. View the place on google maps, know the directions, know the surrounding and get a rough estimate of your expenses.
Secondly, be courteous and kind to the locals. They will be the people to help you in case of anything.
Lastly, have fun and create memories.
6. What advice would you give to those who are just starting to travel? And to those veteran travelers?
It’s never late to start travelling, we once met this man in his 60’s and he told us something we will never forget. He said “The world is a book and those who don’t travel read only one page. How many pages have you read??” This has been our motivation since then and we would like it to be yours too.
7. What books are you currently reading?
We are switching between two books Eat, Pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert and Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.
8. Most travelers have a weakness for time management during travels, others have a weakness for buying souvenirs. Share with us one weakness you have.
We have a weakness for exploring, thus we have so many detours.
9. Do you consider yourself a traveler or a tourist? Why?
We are tourists, our home is in Nairobi and despite the many places we visit nothing compares to being at home. Being tourists for us means we get to experience different places and cultures and bring them back home with us. Definitely tourists.
10. Fun Travel Hot Seat: You are going on a road trip and you are allowed to carry just 3 things, a book, an electronic gadget and a music album (or TV series) CD. What would you pick of each?
Brian: World encyclopedia, Mobile phone, Game of Thrones.
Liz: Bible, Mobile phone, Anna Meredith’s album called Varmints.
Social Media Pages: (Follow, like, share, comment)
We are grateful to Brian & Liz for the interview. If you have any comments, please share in the section below or via our twitter page @funtravelke . You can also suggest anyone to be considered for future interviews. Thank you.
NOTE: All photos are courtesy of Brian & Liz.