As of many of my friends, I am pretty sure there aren’t many of you who have traveled much around our beautiful country. I used to judge people by how many provinces they have been to, even just passing through. However, with the change of the administrative boundaries and structure, I bet it will be more fun right now if I ask you how many counties you have been to. That really breaks it down to a lot more corners of Kenya.
Each and every county in Kenya has something special or life-changing to offer. From the Sandy beaches in Mombasa to the fish-eating stalls by the lake in Kisumu, the majestic Savanna in Kajiado to the endless desert in Marsabit… we have it all. I will help you make your travel bucket-list, and then tick on the ones you have already done. That way, you can help me judge you on how much you have traveled.
We will just take 10 destinations, manage-able I think.
1. The Beaches(Mombasa, Lamu, Kilifi, Kwale counties)
2. The Savanna(Nakuru, Samburu, Narok, Kajiado, Laikipia counties)
3. The Highlands(Nyeri, Taita Taveta, Kakamega counties)
4. The Lake Basin(Siaya, Kisumu, Homa Bay counties)
5. The Tea Zone(Kericho, Nandi, Kiambu counties)
6. The Lakes(Baringo, Turkana, Kisumu, Nakuru counties)
7. The Cities(Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu counties)
8. The Deserts(Isiolo, Marsabit, Mandera, Garissa counties)
9. The Cultures(Narok, West Pokot, Tana River counties)
10. The ‘Roadtrip counties'(Machakos, Kajiado, Makueni counties)
So how well have you traveled?
Score card: Below 4 – Poor, 5 to 7 – Good, Above 7 – You are a traveler!!!