The rugby community, where are you at? We have one of your family members with us today. Welcome Esther Wambui, known as Kenna in the rugby circles. Active in rugby, and thus also traveling while still being a student at Daystar University. Check out her social accounts for more of her; @mckennarific on twitter and @wambuimumbi on instagram.
- First, just tell us about yourself and what you are involved in.
I am Wambui Mumbi but most of my friends and family call me Kenna. I am a fourth year communication student at Daystar University and also the Daystar Falcons Rugby Team Manager (Lets out a kayumbet*). I have developed an undying love for rugby in the past two years (Smiles). Oh and I love smiling and laughing a lot.
- Your love for tourism and traveling, is it inborn or due to your line of work/activities?
- Are you contented with how much you have traveled and places you have visited so far and what has been your best destination so far?
No way, I am not even close. I want to visit places outside Africa, which I am yet to do. My best destination, I’d say Kigali, Rwanda. That city is just so clean and beautiful. Like Kigali compared to our capital city, you will be astonished. The city planning too, awesome.
- Take us through your travel bucket-list.
Climb Mount Kenya.
Go camping, the old school way – no mobile phones or any electronics for a week.
Attend the Las Vegas rugby 7s, I seriously want to go to one. (Laughs)I am sure the rugby fanatics would understand why.
Nyama choma in the wild is also another thing I want to do, that would be awesome.
- How often do you travel?
Well, I only travel when I get a free weekend. Seeing as I am mostly in Athi River, even going to town is considered traveling (Laughs loudly). But on a serious note, I will travel to any destination whenever I am free and I have awesome company to go with.
- What are the most important lessons you have learnt from your trips?
I learnt to never eat heavily while traveling; car sickness can ruin your trip. Always carry mint in your bag, you never know who you will meet. Also never forget your earphones and a book to read on the way, for the boring times. Of course, wet tissues help along the way.
- What is the most frustrating part about trips?
Car breaking down, I wouldn’t really say frustrating but it’s a bit annoying when this happens. Uh huh, when with friends then suddenly an argument starts, I hate it, because it makes the whole crowd go silent and that is no fun at all.
At the moment, no I do not. Because I haven’t done much of traveling since the year began. But before it comes to a close, I will definitely be a local tourist.
- Any comments on #TembeaKenya efforts and to others about traveling through Kenya?
Just keep giving us ideas on the best places to visit and also, when any of you travels, share your experience so that others get to know of these beautiful destinations. It is refreshing to travel. And you are a good work.
- Funtravel Hot Seat: You are going for a road-trip, but you have only two seats left and have three people to invite on board; Poghie Ndonga @ (of http://www.osbke.com/ ), Mark Masai or Philip Wamae(Kenya 7s rugby player). One will sit next to you, the other will sit at the back of the bus and the third will not board. Who will be where?
(Shakes her head) Why do this to me? (Thinks for a while, then smiles) I am assuming my seat is just before the back seat of the bus so that we are all close enough to chat (Laughs). With that said, I would have Poghie seat next to me, the stories will not dry up, and Philip right behind us. Mark will be waving kwaheri as our safari starts.
kayumbet* – A dance in the kenyan rugby community
Photos Courtesy of Esther, Mkenya Photography and Odd Shape Balls Kenya( @ ).
We are grateful to @mckennarific for the interview. If you have any comments, please share on the comments’ section or via our twitter page @funtravelke . You can also suggest anyone to be considered for future interviews. Thank you.
Twitter https://twitter.com/funtravelke | Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005998608845 | Vimeo https://vimeo.com/user38090791 | Instagram https://instagram.com/funtravelke/